Venue: Authority Chamber - Mann Island. View directions
Appointment of Chair
The Lead Officer, Scrutiny, opened the meeting and invited nominations for Chair of the Combined Authority Overview and Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18. He advised the Chair must be from one of the Opposition Political Parties on the Committee and could not be of the same Political Party as the LCR Mayor.
It was moved by Councillor Cashman and seconded by Councillor Anderson and:-
RESOLVED: That Councillor Sue McGuire be appointed Chair of the Combined Authority Overview and Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18.
COUNCILLOR SUE McGUIRE IN THE CHAIR
Appointment of Vice Chair
The Chair invited nominations for the position of Vice Chair of the Combined Authority Overview and Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18.
It was proposed by Councillor Wainwright and seconded by Councillor Sullivan that the Committee appoint two Vice Chairs for 2017/18 - one male and one female.
On being put to the vote, there were 17 votes for the proposal, 2 votes against the proposal and no abstentions and it was therefore:-
RESOLVED: That the Committee appoint two Vice Chairs to the Combined Authority Overview and Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18.
Appointment of Vice Chairs 2017/18
The Chair invited nominations for two Vice Chair positions for 2017/18. The following nominations were proposed and seconded:-
· Councillor Wainwright
· Councillor Murphy
On being put to the vote, there were 17 votes for the nominees, no votes against the nominees and 2 abstentions, and it was therefore:-
RESOLVED: That Councillor Wainwright and Councillor Murphy be appointed as Vice Chairs of the Combined Authority Overview and Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18.
The Chair invited nominations for two Labour, one Liberal Democrat and one Conservative Member to sit on the Combined Authority’s Audit Committee 2017/18.
The following nominations were made:-
· Labour – Councillor Paula Murphy and Councillor Carla Thomas
· Liberal Democrat – Councillor Carl Cashman
· Conservative – Councillor Denise Dutton
On being put to the vote it was:-
RESOLVED: That the Liverpool City Region Overview and Scrutiny Committee nominations to the Combined Authority Scrutiny Committee for 2017/18, as set out above, be confirmed.
The minutes of the meeting held on 25 January 2017, having been circulated, were taken as read and signed as a correct record.
The Committee received a presentation from Matt Goggins, Head of Bus, at Merseytravel, which provided an update on the Affordable Transport Review.
The Committee were reminded that a review of Short Hop Bus Fares across the City Region had been carried out; its findings and a number of recommendations were reported to the Combined Authority in March 2016. Merseytravel were asked to respond to those recommendations and then report back on progress made against the recommended actions.
In addition, the Combined Authority’s Internal Audit Team was requested to undertake an independent review of progress in implementing the recommendations, the details of which were attached to the report at Appendix 1. It was noted that significant progress had been made, which was monitored and reported via the Bus Alliance Boards and Service Stream meetings.
The following issues and comments were raised by Members of the Committee:-
· The reduction in bus services as a result of the reduction in the transport levy;
· Membership and benefits of the Bus Alliance;
· Provision of real time information, issues regarding limited coverage/availability at bus stops and the use of smart phone technology;
· Use of Technology to access discounted fares;
· Consistency of information across multiple ‘Apps’;
· Facilities in place for disabled passengers and/or those with mental health conditions;
· Measuring Value for Money and the use of an independent information survey to improve customer satisfaction; and
· Retention of cash payments to accommodate those passengers who cannot access other methods of payment (e.g. smart phone technology).
RESOLVED: That the response of the Combined Authority to the recommendations of the Affordable Transport Review and the update report be noted.
Presentation by Metro Mayor Rotheram on the 100 Day Plan
The Committee welcomed Metro Mayor Rotheram to the meeting.
Mayor Rotheram presented his 100 Day Plan which was structured around five core policy ‘pillars’ and set out the ambitions and priorities for the Liverpool City Region. These were noted as being:-
· Connected; and
The Plan set out more than 50 pledges and actions to be delivered across a broad range of policy areas including transport, economic growth, skills, housing, the environment and infrastructure.
Mayor Rotheram then dealt with Members’ questions and observations on a number of related issues:-
· Capacity within the Combined Authority;
· Tolls on the new Mersey Gateway Bridge and the Mersey Tunnels;
· Digital Strategy for the City Region;
· The Housing First report, the impact of welfare reform and how to tackle homelessness;
· How best to deal with Brownfield and Greenfield issues/agenda;
· How the Scrutiny function can contribute to the Mayoral agenda;
· The expansion plans for Liverpool John Lennon Airport;
· The Mersey Tidal Barrier and its advantages to the region; and
· The Skills Commission, Apprenticeships and access to the Levy.
Mayor Rotheram was then thanked for his attendance and for setting out the vision contained in the 100 Day Plan.
RESOLVED: That the presentation and contents of the 100 Day Plan be noted.
The Committee considered a report of the Lead Officer, Scrutiny, which sought Members’ views on the Work Programme for 2017/18.
In previous years, the Work Programme had been considered at the Development Day, which afforded the opportunity to discuss and explore a number of suggestions for topics which the Committee could scrutinise. Suggestions should be forwarded to the Lead Officer, Scrutiny.
It was agreed that a date be set for the Committee to consider and agree its Work Programme for 2017/18. Members were advised that a date would be canvassed for this meeting to take place as early as possible.
RESOLVED: That the Work Programme be considered at a further Development Day meeting, the date of which is to be confirmed.
The Committee considered the report of the Lead Officer, Scrutiny, on proposed dates for future meetings.
RESOLVED: That the timetable of dates for formal meetings of the Committee in 2017/18, as set out below, be approved.
· 25 October 2017
· 24 January 2018
· 18 April 2018